Recipe by Toby Jermain
I can't remember how or why I developed this recipe... probably just looking for a new way to fix chicken, and it worked. Prep time does not include time for chicken to marinate.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, fat discarded,rinsed and patted dry,and cut in 1/4 x 2 inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (preferably Lawry’s seasoned salt without MSG)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 -2 tablespoon white wine worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, if needed
- 1 small onion, quartered lengthwise,then sliced crosswise
- 1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and sliced or 2 (4 ounce) jars sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule, to taste,rather than adding salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil, lightly crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour, whisked with
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine, and
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 lb uncooked wide pasta, cooked in boiling salted water until al dente as accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken strips with seasoned salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and white-wine Worcestershire sauce, toss to combine, and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours in refrigerator, tossing and turning several times.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp, and drain, reserving 2 Tbsp drippings; set bacon aside.
- In the drippings, cook the chicken over high heat until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from pan, and set aside.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil to pan, if needed, and saute onion and sliced mushrooms over high heat until onions are transparent and mushrooms have given up their moisture and most of it has evaporated.
- (If using canned mushrooms, same directions apply).
- Add chicken broth, fresh garlic, bouillon granules, paprika, basil, nutmeg, and bacon.
- Cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain in the flour mixture while whisking, and simmer, stirring and cooking for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add parsley and sour cream, and stir until smooth.
- Season to taste with more freshly ground black pepper and salt, if desired, and bring almost to a boil.
- Do not boil!
- Serve immediately over noodles.