Recipe by Wendy-Bob
Adapted from a recipe in one of my books. This is a great autumn/winter casserole - very tasty and ever so healthy! I've given the directions for cooking in the oven but this can easily be done in a crock pot as well - just follow steps 2 and 3 and fling it all in the crock pot, cooking on low for 8 hours.
Top Review by StillRiverCook
I have a bushel of butternut squash, so needed to use some up. Unfortunately I found this recipe to be bland. There was so much fluid in the casserole when finished baking, that it was more like a soup. Plus the squash was a bit mushy. If I had added rice to the casserole when I put in the oven, that might have been a good alternative.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 butternut squash (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon sage
- chicken stock cube
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat an oven to 190c.
- Chop everything up - the chicken and onion, cube the squash and slice the carrotts. If you're using the cashews chop these up as well.
- Using some 1 cal spray (or olive oil if you prefer), brown the chicken and soften the onion, squash and carrot for approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer into a casserole dish, add the sage and stock cube. Fill with water until everything is nearly covered.
- Cook in the oven for 45mins to an hour or until everything is cooked and tender.
- Stir through half the nuts (if using).
- Plate up and garnish with remaining nuts.