Recipe by Iceman _ 142
Old World Chicke Soup. My Great Grandma's recipe handed down from my Mom.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Very similar to my own chicken soup (usually try to get free range chickens). To serve it right away like the recipe states is too greasy for our tastes so I chill it overnight, next day skim off all the fat and then reheat. Also the flavors seem to be better after sitting. Still a good basic recipe. Thanks for submitting.
- 2 whole chicken breasts or 4 chicken breast halves, with skin
- 1 lb carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place breast in stock pot and cover with water. Just about a gallon and a half.
- place on stove on medium heat and raise to ALMOST simmering. Turn down heat to simmer.
- As the water warms to simmer, you will see the blood and other fluids from the meat come to the top of the pot and float. Use a big table spoon, or any large serving spoon and carefully skim off all the brown foam. This might take 30 minute of careful watching.DO NOT LET BOIL! Believe me it's worth it! Removing all this "dirt" as my Grandma used to call it really "cleans" the taste of the soup.
- After all the skim has been removed, try to leave the yellow fat pools on top of the soup, thats where the flavor is.
- Add your peeled and sliced carrots, sliced celery and quarterd onion to stock and bring to a full boil for 20 minutes.
- reduce to simmer, add boulion cubes and Dill, cover and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook your favorite noodles and serve.