Recipe by One Little Deer
My mom always made this soup for me when I was sick. Now I make it for my family. The garlic and the lime are both really good for colds. As little salt as possible should be used.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
This was delish! I've been sick & really didn't feel much like cooking, but waiting to make this recipe until I felt better seemed to defeat it's purpose. LOL It turns out to be really easy to make and it's about the only thing I have been able to eat a serving of since last week. Not being able to grocery shop required me to improvise slightly. I had chicken tenders in the freezer, carrot shreds and cilantro, so I subbed those for the whole chicken, the chopped carrot and the parsley. Without the whole chicken to flavor the soup, I needed to add about a Tablespoon of chicken base. I think the lime juice was a unique and key addition to this soup & I have no doubt I'll be making it again, well or sick. And in fact, I think the cilantro paired quite well with the lime. I may continue to use that in the future. Thanks so much for sharing your mother's recipe, One Little Deer. Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 1 (4 lb) skinless chicken, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 4 ounces egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- 2 limes, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot add chicken, breast side down, onion, thyme, bay leaf, and garlic. Add enough water to cover; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Skim any foam that rises to the top and discard.
- Remove chicken from pot, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Skim fat from surface of soup, if desired, and discard. Remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Shred meat into bite-size pieces, and return to pot.
- Add celery, carrots, potato, egg noodles and parsley. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Squeeze fresh limejuice into soup and stir. Can also squeeze into individual bowls before serving.