Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
An untried somewhat modified recipe from BHG's Slow Cooker magazine. Posting it here for safe-keeping.
- 2 lbs uncooked ground chicken or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- yellow mustard
- 10 hamburger buns, toasted
- dill pickle slices
- chopped onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the chicken, celery, 1 cup chopped onion and if desired, salt and pepper to taste, until chicken isn't pink; stir to crumble up the ground chicken; drain.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a bowl, add the cola, dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional) and cayenne pepper; stir to blend.
- Pour cola mixture over the chicken; stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Spread toasted buns with yellow mustard.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the chicken mixture onto the buns; top with pickle slices and more chopped onion; replace bun tops.
- It is suggested that you may need to eat these with a fork.