Middle Eastern Chicken Sloppy Joe
I found this unique recipe on the Food Network website. It looks like a great twist on an old favorite. Use the soy yogurt to make this dairy-free.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced (white and green parts separate)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt or 1/4 cup soy yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 (4 inch) whole wheat pita bread, with pockets, tops trimmed and warmed
- tomatoes, sliced
- cucumber, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the scallion whites cinnamon, salt, and pepper, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato, and raisins and cook over high heat until mixture is almost dry, about 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook stirring until meat is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the green part of the scallions, yogurt, and pine nuts.
- Serve mixture stuffed into warm pita with tomato slices and cucumber slices.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION