Recipe by JillAZ
From "The Best Freezer Cookbook".
Top Review by yogiclarebear
This was pretty good, although we would prefer the taste without the ketchup. I also had to bake for practially 35 minutes at 375 to heat through the casserole. Otherwise, solid recipe. I subbed non-fat sour cream for the cream cheese in the potatoes.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes. Break up the meat with a fork as it cooks.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock gradually, increase heat a bit and cook, stirring until thickened.
- Stir in frozen vegetables, ketchup, Worcestershire, sage and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While meat simmers, place mashed potatoes in a large bowl and beat in cream cheese and egg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the potatoes over the chicken mixture.
- Place pan in bottom third of oven and broil for 7-8 minutes until potatoes are heated through and golden brown.
- To freeze: Place meat mixture in a casserole and top with potatoes. Allow to cool then wrap well with plastic wrap and then foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Thaw in fridge or microwave. Preheat oven to 350°F; unwrap and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through. Broil briefly to brown the top if desired.