Chicken Shepherd's Pie
photo by Chef floWer
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
1 pie 22 cm pan
Bottom of the pan
- 200 g shortcrust pastry dough, frozen ready made (equals to 1 sheet, please defrosted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 (260 g) can mushrooms, sliced in butter sauce
- 1⁄2 cup English pea, tiny variety if frozen defrosted
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme, crumbled leaf
- 1 dash marjoram
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- salt and pepper
Topping Mash potato
- 230 g potatoes (floury variety)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 20 g butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- To make mash potato: Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, add milk gradually, butter, season with pinch of nutmeg and mash (The mash needs to be lightened to prevent it from sinking into the meat) Set aside.
- To make the filling: In a large pan set over low heat, add oil and heat the oil until sizzling. Add the onions, carrots, celery, peas and garlic. Sauté until the onions are transparent and the carrots begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mushrooms in butter sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, shredded chicken and salt & pepper to taste. Allow to cool.
- Place the shortbread pastry into a pie tin. Don't cut the pastry yet, pour over cooled chicken filling, remove excess pastry by cutting the edge set aside.
- Spread your mash potato over chicken filling and scored with a fork or you can use an icing kit.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the topping is golden and the sauce is hot and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I also omitted the mushrooms as per the tastes of my family. Im used to "open face" shepards pie, (sans the bottom crust) but this was a very nice change. Id like to also try it with some beef and beef gravey in place of the chicken. I served some chicken gravey on the side and also threw alittle bit into the chicken/veggie mixture, because i think it was missing the moisture from the butter sauce the mushrooms would have added. The dish was very well recived by the family. Made for Aussie Swap.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm not around.. If you have tried my recipes and given them a review and photo.. Thank you... If your after a freebie with one of my photos or recipes to make a publication with it and use it as your own. Please don't ask, the answer is no! If you take them, then your stealing... Stealing is bad and against the law.