Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
I modified this from the Montgomery AL, 1969 Garden Club Cookbook, Casseroles Including Breads. The original was submitted by Mrs. Eidris V. Long of the Sequoyah Trail Garden Club in Madisonville, TN. It was a different time. I have modified it and may make it with coconut milk instead and add things like peas. I make it in a rice cooker and so do not 1st cook the rice.
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and diced (or canned)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (coconut milk works too)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients and spoon into 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake 50-55 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve with savory sauce.
- Savory Sauce:.
- Blend butter and flour together. Add remaining ingredients; cook until flavors blend.
- Pour over chicken squares.