I love chicken salad and I love avocado, so I figured I might as well put them together. Oops! Fixed mistake on mayo amount May 2012.
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon canned diced jalapeno
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt (less if table salt)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (more or less, to bind salad)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, for bread
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 romaine leaves
- Chop cooked chicken into 1/4-inch cubes and place in medium bowl.
- Add pecans, celery, red onion, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, jalapeño and salt. Then add just enough mayonnaise to bind salad together.
- Stir to combine and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Spread mayonnaise or Dijon mustard on the bread, mash half a avocado on each sandwich and top with provolone and romaine.
- On other half of each sandwich add the chicken salad, then put the two halves together and enjoy!
- To prepare the cooked chicken, try cooking them in pineapple juice. It gives them a very nice flavor.
An excellent flavor to this chicken salad - even DH loved it and he doesn't care for any type of sandwich salad. The only thing I would do differently next time, and there will be a next time, is add additional jalapeno - possibly 3 or 4 teaspoons - could not even tell there was any jalapeno in the salad. Instead of making sandwiches I put the salad into large hollowed tomatoes - will be even better when the tomatoes are in season:) There was enough left over for a second lunch or dinner too - a plus. Thank you for posting puppity.
Very good! I used this recipe on leftover rotisserie chicken. I made some minor changes. I replaced some of the mayonnaise with greek yogurt and used low fat pepper jack cheese instead of provolone (this was to reduce fat). I put this on kaiser rolls and then broiled in the oven just until the cheese started to brown. Very delicious and I will be making many times!
I was trying to use up a leftover 1/2 avocado when I came upon this recipe...Given that I am only human and have my own dislikes, I DID omit some ingredients before I came up with something I was fairly certain I would enjoy...I also halved the recipe as I only needed ONE serving...My final version was VERY basic and included the chicken, avocado, onion, lime juice, light mayonnaise and lavash bread...Being that my version was substantially different, I don't think it fair that I rate this recipe YET...But now that I've tried MY abbreviated version, it's given me the confidence to try YOUR version at a later date (albeit without the jalapeno & chesse)...THANK YOU for sharing this recipe! I'll be back to add a rating at a later date!