Recipe by C.C
I made this for Valentines Dinner and it was a big hit. I saw some of this recipe on a foodnetwork show(not sure which one) I added a pack of Lipton savoury herb and garlic dip mix to the breadcrumbs,to add a little extra flavour, before frying them off, there recipe called for deep frying before roasting, I fried this one off in a little oil in a skillet, before roasting. It worked really well. The chicken came out moist and juicy, and full of flavour.
Top Review by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This chicken is sensational! We loved it. MY DH couldn't stop saying how good it was and how much he liked it. It's restaurant quality all the way. I didn't leave mine set in the fridge for 2 hrs because I didn't have enough time- it was more like half an hour. I can't believe this gem has gone unreviewed for 2 yrs! Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I WILL be making this again. Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2009
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 7 -8 spinach leaves, about 5/6 per breast depending on the size of chicken and size spinach leaves
- 0.25 (16 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (you can use plain or garlic if preferred)
- Lipton Recipe Secrets savory herb with garlic soup mix
- 8 toothpicks
- salt and black pepper (to season)
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim off any fat and cut part way through the underside of the chicken to flatten it out slightly.
- Put the chicken on top of a piece of cling film, and season each breast with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Then cover with another piece of cling film and pound chicken till it flattens out (not too much it is easy to overdo this) and the seasoning is embedded in the meat.
- Take each breast and layer it with the spinach leaves first then the feta and the red pepper.
- Fold in the sides of each breast and roll up and secure with tooth picks.
- Cover with cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F .
- In a large dish big enough to dip the chicken in beat the eggs.
- Next to the eggs, use another dish about the same size and combine bread crumbs and garlic dip mix.
- Put the oil in a skillet and allow to get hot.
- While the oil is heating, take the chicken and first dip into the egg till coated and then into the bread crumbs, making sure all surfaces are covered.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken to the skillet, one at a time, and turn using tongs, when each side has become lightly browned. Then place on a baking sheet. Repeat with each breast.
- When all the chicken has been browned, place baking sheet, and roast for about 25 minutes or till the internal temperature is 170°F or juices run clear.