Sausage, Roasted Red Pepper, and Spinach Torta Rustica
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 16 baguette, slices cut on slight diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Fontina cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup diced drained roasted red pepper, from a jars
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 8x8 inch baking dish. Place 8 baguette slices in bottom of dish; press 2 baguette slices onto each side.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach, toss until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer spinach to strainer; cool. Squeeze spinach dry. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Heat same pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, saute until cooked through, breaking up, about 7 minutes. Mix into spinach; mix in 1 cup cheese and peppers. Spread atop baguette slices in bottom of dish.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in last 4 ingredients. Pour over spinach mixture and stir lightly with fork to distribute evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top.
- Bake torta until puffed up and golden and center is set, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!