Green Beans With Caramelized Shallots
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- Cook beans in boiling salted water until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
- Cut off and discard ends from shallots. Cut shallots lengthwise in half, then remove peel with paring knife.
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; saute until shallots are browned and tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans, mix together, and heat through. Serve.
- DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover loosely with foil and let stand at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
DH and I served this last night as a side to a flounder recipe (Recipe #207047). We absolutely LOVED these beans! Easy and quick to prepare, with wonderful flavor (the onions were not too overpowering). I halved the recipe with great results. I would definitely make this recipe again. Thanks so much for posting.
What a lovely presentation these make! To make getting my Thanksgiving dinner on the table a little easier, I caramelized the shallots ahead of time then microwaved some frozen, steam-in-the-bag green beans at serving time. Tossed together in a bowl and nuked for another 30 seconds or so, the flavor was wonderful! Thanks for posting your recipe! We really enjoyed it!