Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chicken rolls! Best healthy meal you'll ever have.
- 4 chicken breasts (family of 4)
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) canof sliced jalapenos (not nacho jalapenos, sliced lengthwise)
- 1 (12 ounce) package turkey bacon, 66% is great
- Italian dressing, for marination
- garlic powder (optional)
- onion powder (optional)
- This recipe will knock your socks off.
- It truly needs to be done over a charcoal grill.
- I've never tried it on a gas grill but it can be done.
- Take the chicken breasts and pound them with a meat cleaver, about 1/4 inch thick.
- If they are very large chicken breasts split them down the middle lengthwise and then pound them.
- Next, spread a layer of cream cheese over all of the chicken breasts.
- It doesn't matter which side, I prefer the beaten side.
- Now take a couple of sliced jalapenos (I would remove any seeds still around, and depending on how hot you like your food -- take heed) Add around 2 slices at the bottom.
- This would be the time to sprinkle a little garlic and onion powder onto the cream cheese if you desired.
- Roll the chicken into a cylinder from jalapeno to the top.
- Take turkey bacon (turkey bacon because regular bacon flames up on the grill and burns) and wrap it around the roll while sticking toothpicks in it to hold around the chicken roll.
- Not all of the chicken roll must be covered but I would say that 2/3 is great.
- Don't be too cautious about adding the toothpicks, it helps keep it together on the grill.
- I don't recommend using colored toothpicks though, they do stain, but don't ruin any taste.
- When all of your chicken rolls have been made stick them in either a pan or bowl that will allow for marination.
- Pour a generous amount of Italian dressing over them and make sure they are fully coated.
- I recommend letting them sit overnight.
- If you are rushed 3 or 4 hours.
- Grill them on medium/high heat.
- Like I said before, charcoal is ideal.
- When the chicken rolls feel firm to the touch, they are usually done.
- Also a very nice burnt/reddish color on the turkey bacon is a good indication.
- Make sure you flip them when needed to keep from burning either side.
- Taking a bigger one from the grill and checking it never hurts either.
- If it's still pink in the chicken, keep cooking.
- Remember: smaller rolls cook quicker.
- When cooking is through, let them sit for at least 10 minutes before trying to eat them.
- The cream cheese is hardening, and it makes for a better meal.
- And you won't burn yourself.
- This recipe does take some time to prepare.
- I usually make it for more than 10 people and it can take 45-1hr to prepare.
- You will not find a better chicken meal though when done right.
- Good luck!