This hearty Mexican chicken soup freezes great. Make this up and freeze in airtight containers or freezer bags. Great for taking to work for a quick lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons pure chile powder (your heat desired)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 49 ounces chicken broth (or chicken stock)
- 4 cups water
- 45 ounces canned white hominy, drained
- 6 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves, if desired
- 1Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic, chile powder, cumin, oregano, tomato paste and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Add water, chicken broth and hominy, and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
- 5Add chicken and taste soup for seasoning, add salt if needed. Season with pepper.
- 6Cook until heated through.
- 7Ladle into bowl and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
- 8Add 4 cups water, broth, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
- 9Stir in chicken; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through. (When freezing, cool completely before transferring to airtight containers.).
- 10To serve, divide among bowls, and garnish as desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pozole
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.2
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 1267.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 34.7 g