Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This hearty Mexican chicken soup freezes great. Make this up and freeze in airtight containers or freezer bags. Great for taking to work for a quick lunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons pure chile powder (your heat desired)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 49 ounces chicken broth (or chicken stock)
- 4 cups water
- 45 ounces canned white hominy, drained
- 6 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves, if desired
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chile powder, cumin, oregano, tomato paste and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add water, chicken broth and hominy, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and taste soup for seasoning, add salt if needed. Season with pepper.
- Cook until heated through.
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
- Add 4 cups water, broth, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through. (When freezing, cool completely before transferring to airtight containers.).
- To serve, divide among bowls, and garnish as desired.
This is an excellent recipe. We added shredded cabbage to our cilantro for the garnish. It added just a taste of extra flavor which is wonderful. We doubled the recipe to take to a 50th birthday party. We have friends that are vegetarians which makes this recipe extra special for us, and are excited to share it. Thank you, M. Hastings San Bernardino, CA