Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
from Family Circle magazine.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin
- 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb chicken, cooked,cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 lbs frozen bread dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over miedum heat.
- Add onion and celery to skillet and cook 5 minutes until softened.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in the broth until well blended and smooth.
- Stir seasonings and raisins into onion mixture; cook stirring occasionally, 1 minute until mixture is thickened.
- Stir chicken, peas and carrots into skillet; cook another 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- On a well floured board, roll one piece into an 8 inch circle.
- Spoon 1/2 cup filling into center of circle.
- With a pastry brush, gently brush a small amount of water along the edge of the circle.
- Fold half the dough over, enclosing the filling and forming a half moon.
- Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Place the turnover on baking sheet.
- Prepare remaining turnovers, using remaining dough and filling.
- Bake 4 at a time for 15 to 17 minutes until browned.
- Let them cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.