1 hr 5 mins
This recipe was featured on "The Early Show". It looks delicious and fairly simple to make. I wanted the nutrition info, so that is the main reason I am posting it. Enjoy!! ( I just checked out the nutrition info and it has 2 bay leaves as having 149g Carbs, 626 Calories, 1668mg Calcium, that cannot be right...so I don't know how accurate the nutrition info is?? maybe I did something wrong when I posted?? )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces good-quality puff pastry (such as Dufour)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in quarters
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tablespoon chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white pearl onion, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup peas
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 3On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry dough with a floured rolling pin. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing pie filling.
- 4Combine the stock, onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, and thyme sprigs in a large pot over high heat. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the chicken breasts. Raise the heat and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Strain the stock and set aside 2 1/2 cups. Reserve the remaining stock for another use. When the chicken is cool to the touch cut it into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- 6Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pearl onions and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and peas and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook another minute. Add reserved stock and milk, stirring constantly. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add chicken, the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped thyme, salt, and ground pepper. Spoon chicken mixture into four 2-cup individual oven-proof bowls. Set aside.
- 7Remove pastry from refrigerator and cut into four circles, using the empty bowls as a guide. Place one circle on each bowl and press around the edges to seal the pastry around the bowl. Cut a vent in the center. Using a pastry brush, brush each pie with the egg wash.
- 8Bake until the pastry is puffed and dark golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie As Seen on the Early Show
Serving Size: 1 (787 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1233.7
- Calories from Fat 623
- Total Fat 69.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 177.1 mg
- Sodium 1768.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 54.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: