Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was featured on "The Early Show". It looks delicious and fairly simple to make. I wanted the nutrition info, so that is the main reason I am posting it. Enjoy!! ( I just checked out the nutrition info and it has 2 bay leaves as having 149g Carbs, 626 Calories, 1668mg Calcium, that cannot be right...so I don't know how accurate the nutrition info is?? maybe I did something wrong when I posted?? )
- 14 ounces good-quality puff pastry (such as Dufour)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in quarters
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tablespoon chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup white pearl onion, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup peas
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry dough with a floured rolling pin. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing pie filling.
- Combine the stock, onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, and thyme sprigs in a large pot over high heat. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the chicken breasts. Raise the heat and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Strain the stock and set aside 2 1/2 cups. Reserve the remaining stock for another use. When the chicken is cool to the touch cut it into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pearl onions and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and peas and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook another minute. Add reserved stock and milk, stirring constantly. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add chicken, the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped thyme, salt, and ground pepper. Spoon chicken mixture into four 2-cup individual oven-proof bowls. Set aside.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator and cut into four circles, using the empty bowls as a guide. Place one circle on each bowl and press around the edges to seal the pastry around the bowl. Cut a vent in the center. Using a pastry brush, brush each pie with the egg wash.
- Bake until the pastry is puffed and dark golden brown, about 35 minutes.