Recipe by Patty Mae
Chicken pot pie - it's what I make when I need comfort food, and it's what my friends and family get when they need comfort food.
Top Review by tlbarker72
This is one delicious pot pie recipe. I really love it. The ONLY change I make after having made it several times, is that a whole quart of stock is just a little too much. The filling mixture is just a bit too thin, even after adding extra flour. I usually use the quart minus maybe 1/3 cup. Otherwise, this recipe is perfect. I also like to play with the veggies, depending on what I have on hand. I have thrown mushrooms in, substituted corn for the peas, etc. This is truly comfort food at its best. Thanks Patty Mae for a wonderful recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 2 all ready pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning in a shallow bowl and stir to mix well.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour. Reserve remaining flour for thickening sauce.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; heat until the butter starts to bubble.
- Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned on all sides.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter to pan. When butter is melted add two tablespoons of reserved flour mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until flour has turned golden brown.
- Whisk chicken stock into flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Return chicken to pan and add vegetables. Allow to return to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are almost done.
- While vegetables are cooking preheat oven to 375°F
- Dust one side of one of the pie crusts with about a teaspoon of flour. If using an oval casserole dish, use a rolling pin to roll the crust into an oval shape.
- Place it floured side down into a 3-quart casserole dish and press it to a uniform thickness. Make sure there are no breaks in the crust and it comes all the way up to the top of the dish. If necessary, cut a little off the other pie crust to fill in the spaces.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the casserole.
- Top with the other crust and crimp around the edges, cutting off any extra dough.
- Cut slits in the top crust with a sharp knife.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until top crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.