1/3 Photos of Chicken Piccata
Sue Freeman's Note:
Cook's Illustrated has the best technique descriptions I've ever seen and this recipe, with a little tweaking, is the best piccata I've ever tried with an assertive lemon accent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken cutlets or 1 1/2 lbs turkey cutlets or 1 1/2 lbs veal cutlets
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons drained small capers
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1Halve one lemon lengthwise and slice one half crosswise into 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices.
- 2Juice the remaining 1 1/2 lemons to obtain 1/4 cup juice.
- 3Salt & pepper each cutlet generously and coat each with flour.
- 4Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until hot, add 2 tbsp oil, saute half of the cutlets until medium brown (2 minutes per side).
- 5Transfer cutlets to warm plate.
- 6Add remaining oil and repeat with remaining cutlets.
- 7Add shallot or garlic to pan over medium heat -- saute until fragrant (30 seconds).
- 8Add stock and lemon slices, increase heat to high and deglaze pan; simmer until liquid reduces to about 1/3 cup.
- 9Add lemon juice and capers and simmer until sauce reduces again to 1/3 cup.
- 10Remove pan from heat, swirl in butter until it melts and thickens sauce; swirl in parsley.
- 11Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Piccata
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.7
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 133.6 mg
- Sodium 415.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 40.1 g