I found this recipe in a magazine and changed it to add more flavor. My DH and TD raved about it. DH had seconds and said he could have eaten more!
- Place chicken on cutting board and fillet each breast into 2 pieces. This is easily done by placing hand flat on breast and cutting lengthwise starting at thicker end.
- Sprinkle fillets on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Heat a large frying pan or electric skillet and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil when hot. Add chicken breasts (do not overcrowd, due in batches if necessary), and brown on both sides until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the last of the olive oil, mushrooms and shallots and cook until done.
- While you are cooking mushrooms and shallots, split rolls and toast lightly.
- When done spread with desired amount of pesto.
- Assembly: Place cooked chicken breast on roll, top with mushroom-shallot mixture, tomato (if used) and a thin sprinkling of grated mozzarella cheese.
- Broil open faced sandwich under broiler until cheese is melted.