Chicken Pesto Sandwich
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped fresh
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 italian-style hoagie rolls, split lengthwise and toasted
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled, divided
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped fresh, divided
- Combine chicken, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add yellow bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and balsamic vinegar and cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms and 1 tablespoon basil into chicken mixture and cook until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Add mozzarella cheese and pesto sauce; toss to coat. Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture into toasted buns and top each sandwich with 1/4 cup feta cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!