Recipe by Burned Toast
I had an idea of how I wanted to make this recipe, and I had all the ingredients. I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted in the recipes out there, so being stubborn, I did it myself. This is good! Not that I am surprised, mind you. Heh ;) This is not an especially difficult recipe to prepare. It takes little time overall, and the taste is excellent! Note the cooking time is for the oven. The prep time includes frying and is approximate.
Top Review by Darkhunter
A good, basic Parmesan. Glad you didn't get too fancy schmancy. Nice presentation. Just needs a green salad and you are good to go. Husbands and SO's will be back for seconds! Thnx for posting, Burned Toast. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Italian style breadcrumbs (I used Progresso)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (to taste)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (tomato, garlic and onion recommended)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated, such as Kraft (to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti (1/2 box)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add 4 quarts water and 1 teaspoon olive oil to a large pot and turn on high heat until it boils.
- Wrap each chicken breast in waxed paper and pound thin (no thicker than 1/2 inch).
- Cut chicken breasts in half at widest point. This could be a diagonal cut too. If any piece is still too thick, butterfly cut it (split in half parallel to the cutting surface).
- Add olive and canola oils to a large frying pan to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Heat on medium until a drop of water added to pan sizzles.
- While the oils heat, beat the eggs in a shallow plate until well blended.
- In another shallow plate, stir together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- One at a time, dip the pieces of chicken in the egg, covering both sides. Move the chicken to the bread crumbs and lightly coat each side. Dip the chicken quickly and lightly in the egg and put it back in the bread crumbs, covering thoroughly this time. Make sure to get the edges of the chicken pieces.
- As each piece is finished, carefully place it in the hot oil. When the bottom of the chicken browns, carefully turn it over and brown the other side. Take the finished chicken from the oil and place in an ungreased casserole (app 9" x 11").
- When all are finished, add spaghetti into the boiling water. Cook according to package directions or about 11 minutes.
- Using a spoon, drop a small amount of spaghetti sauce on top of each chicken breast in the casserole. Do not spread the sauce around. Just let it mound on top. You should not use much of the sauce for this step.
- Sprinkle 1 c mozzarella over the chicken.
- Place the uncovered casserole dish in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Heat the remaining spaghetti sauce in a microwavable container in the microwave until bubbling (about 6-8 minutes).
- Drain the spaghetti thoroughly.
- When the chicken is finished, sprinkle with 1/2 c parmesan and romano cheese.
- To serve, put 1 chicken breast on a plate. Add spaghetti to the side. Put sauce on both the chicken and spaghetti (or just the spaghetti if you prefer). Sprinkle extra mozzarella and parmesan over both if you wish.