Recipe by Nasseh
My husband's mom would make this for me while I was in Morocco. After the first time I tried to figure out what she put in it to make them so good. Mine were ok but not wonderful like hers. So the next time I was there I paid close attention when she made them.
Top Review by Tallbirdmace
Utterly delish! The flavourings were very subtle and quite beautiful. Cooked this for friends doing weight watchers and everyone had seconds, saying they were the best meatballs theyâ€™d ever had- no one could believe they were also so healthy. BIG thank you! We are having this again this week. I cooked these dipped in egg, rolled in whole wheat breadcrumbs and baked in the oven at 325F for 25 mins. Which helped â€œhealthyâ€� it up a lot! We ate this served with whole wheat spaghetti, fresh tomato marinara sauce, and salad.
- 1 lb ground chicken (I prefer chicken) or 1 lb ground turkey (I prefer chicken)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (My addition, not hers) (optional)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, grated (The key to great meatballs & I dislike onion)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour, to coat (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix parsley, onion, & spices with the ground chicken (or turkey). Make sure it is well blended so that the spices are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Make 1 inch balls flattened to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Optional: Dip the balls into the flour until coated. (The ones in the picture have been made this way).
- Pour enough oil to just cover the bottom of the frying pan, heat on medium heat.
- Place the balls into the heated oil. Turn frequently so they do not burn on the sides. Cook until they are done all the way through.
- Optional: To eat Moroccan style, use pieces of a thick bread to break off chunks of meatball. Pop into mouth & enjoy. (No utensils).