Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
True comfort food!
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb chicken, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced potato
- 1⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to pkg instructions.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, potatoes, celery and sage.
- Set aside.
- In saucepan, melt butter; add flour, salt and pepper.
- Add milk, slowly.
- Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add cheddar cheese, stir until smooth.
- Mix with the chicken mixture; stir in drained noodles.
- Place in greased 3 qt casserole.
- Bake at 375* for 50 minutes.
Yummmmmmy! The flavor was really good. My only complaint was the fact that the egg noodles got so mushy after being in the oven so long. (which I know is expected with a casserole or this type)But I am wondering if I could sub a thicker noodle? Other that that, this recipe was WONDERFUL. Next time I am going to try adding some broccoli just because I think this sauce was MADE for broccoli! Thanks for a great recipe! UPDATE: I made again,Using extra potatoes, cubed ham and no noodles. It came out really good too! Very versatile recipe!! Thanks again!
Kari, I use the wide noodles. But your comments got me to thinking. I bet it would help if we cooked the noodles only half done before adding them to the casserole! I think I'll try it this way. :-)
Like another reviewer, I like that this recipe doesn't use condensed soup. Great flavor! I doubled the recipe and baked in a 13x9 pan because I wanted plenty of leftovers. Also prepared a small box of chicken flavored stuffing and topped the casserole with it during the last 15 min of baking.