Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very rich risotto. Makes a great complete meal.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 7 cups hot chicken broth, kept at the simmer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken breast
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When shimmering, add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Turn heat down to medium-low and saute slowly, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, stir well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When shimmering, add rice. Stir until rice turns opaque. Add white wine and simmer until nearly dry. Add chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently, waiting until each addition is nearly absorbed before adding the next. Continue adding hot broth until rice is fully cooked, about 40-45 minutes.
- Stir onions into rice. When heated through, remove from heat and add butter and chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with thyme and parmesan cheese before serving.