Recipe by Trey Caliva
Easy soup with a chicken broth base. The barley tastes great and fills you up.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 large onion
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 cup celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by cutting chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with cajun seasoning.
- Coat bottom of large pot with olive oil. When hot, add chicken.
- Cook chicken until browned, add trinity (chopped onions, chopped bell pepper, chopped celery) and garlic. Allow the trinity and garlic to cook down.
- Add chopped mushrooms. When the mushrooms have started to give off their liquid, add the barley to the pot.
- Barley needs to be cooked until pieces start to appear slightly brown. When it has, add chicken broth and parsley.
- Allow the soup to simmer for an hour, or until the barley is tender. Serve with garlic bread and enjoy!