Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Low in fat and calories but nourishing and delicious.
Make and share this Chicken Minestrone recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups chicken stock (homemade preferred, or canned low-sodium chicken broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, including the juice
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 medium zucchini, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked macaroni (or other small pasta)
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a big soup pot over high heat, combine the tomato juice, stock, water, tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, salt, garlic, and seasonings; bring to a boil; decrease heat to med-low and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Add in the cabbage, zucchini, green beans, and macaroni; cook, covered, until the macaroni and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cannellini beans; simmer, uncovered, until heated through.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.