Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful soup recipe that I chipped out of a magazine. This is such a tasty soup that I often serve. Serve with rye bread and you're set to go. This soup can also be frozen--what a bonus.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks or 1 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 piece gingerroot (about 1-inch)
- 2 cups egg noodles
- fresh dill (to garnish)
- In a bowl beat egg. Mix in bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix in ground chicken. With damp hands, shape into 1-inch balls. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet at 350°F for 15 minutes turning once. Let drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile in Dutch oven heat oil (medium high).
- Cook leeks and garlic about 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add stock and vegetables, dill and gingerroot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in noodles and meatballs and cook 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove gingerroot. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish each serving with dill (before serving).
- Soup can be cooled and frozen in airtight containers up to 2 weeks.
This soup smells heavenly. It is easy and healthy. I am sure it would have been excellent without the changes I made. However, I added about 1/2 c of fresh flat leaf parsley into the meat and did not bake the meat balls. I heated up the broth, then put everything, including the raw meat balls, except the pasta, into a crockpot on high for about 3 hours. I cooked whole wheat pasta and served on the side with slices of fresh lemons as garnish. Just so when we have leftovers the pasta would not bloat up from being in the broth too long. Although I am allergic to coconut, next time I may substitute 1 cup of broth with a cup of coconut milk. Because it smells like Tom Yum soup and it seems like it would enhance the flavor and richness of this soup. But that means I cannot eat it. Oh Well! I will have to rely on other people's feedback. THANK YOU.
I must add my vioce to others who say this soup is great! I really like the dill in the broth. I will keep this soup in my lst of things to make again!
This is great soup. I have a houseful of sickies and this soup was just perfect for them all last night.The dill flavour really makes this so be sure to use it. I also made sure to cut my vegies very small. The soup was ready in no time and very tasty.