Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love Chicken Marsala but my stove is a disaster after sauteeing the chicken. In addition, the regular recipe is incredibly high in fat. So I developed this recipe which is extremely tasty but without all the mess! I like to use chicken "tenders", which are the tenderloin of the chicken breast, but if you can't find them, feel free to use a thin-sliced chicken breast.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup marsala (dry, not sweet. Sometimes I use half white wine)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- Start by making marsala sauce. Heat butter in saute pan; add mushrooms, garlic and shallot. Saute 5 minutes until mushrooms are done.
- Stir marsala into mushrooms and stir up any browned bits; simmer and reduce marsala by half.
- Separately, whisk cornstarch into a bit of the chicken broth until smooth; add remaining chicken broth. Pour this into reduced marsala and bring to boil; simmer 2-3 minutes to thicken sauce. Turn off heat and cover pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat.
- Toss raw chicken tenders with olive oil, salt and pepper (Note: if you are using regular size chicken breasts, cut them in half to make two long portions). Place chicken on hot grill and cook only 1-2 minutes each side.
- Place grilled chicken into marsala-mushroom sauce. Allow to simmer several minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- **If you are making this meal for company, feel free to make ahead to this point. Then right before serving time, reheat it while you cook the pasta.
- Serve chicken over cooked pasta; garnish with parsley.
What a easy recipe for a classic dish. Instant family hit! Easy and flavorful are the best meals! Thank you for sharing.
Very tasty. I used breasts that were quite large so I cut them into thirds. I used half white wine with the marsala. My family gobbled these up and I see another favourite added to our cookbook! Cheers!
This is a very flavorful dish and very simple to make. I used all Chardonnay wine because I didn't have marsala, but it tasted delicious. I added a little more chicken broth than the recipe states, but that is the only change. I also used chicken breast tenders and they came out fork-tender after simmering in the sauce. I love grilling the chicken first, too. It was not messy at all!