This is an awesome summer salad. The mix of the ingredients may seem odd, but I promise you everyone I have served it to has loved it. Hopefully you will, too. The Mango gives just enough sweetness to the dish, and the many textures and flavors work well together. You may adjust the amounts to your liking. I tend to like more fruit and cilantro with less rice.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice, preferably short grain
- 1 1⁄3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook rice until done, and rinse with cold water.
- Coat chicken with 1 tbs. of the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoons of the S/P.
- Cook chicken until done.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, dice into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Toss the rice, chicken, onion, mango, avocado, and rest of the oil (1 tbs), remaining salt and pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Revision: Since posting this recipe, I have been trying to cut back on consuming empty carbohydrates. So when I make this now I use little to no rice, and fill it with more of the other ingredients. It is still very good, especially after marinating for a while.
This was a totally awesome salad! I made it with quinoa instead of rice, and used frozen mango chunks, and it was soooo good! thanks for this recipe, I am sure I will be making this one again.
I had some champagne mangoes I bought in bulk and searched for a recipe to try. This sounded very strange to me but had great reviews so I decided to try it even though my husband looked at me funny. He didn't get to try it yet but I did and it is amazing!!! I was pleasantly surprised! Such a simple recipe too! I poached my chicken. I used two champagne mangoes and 1 avocado. I used only 3/4 cup uncooked rice and that was plenty since other reviews mentioned using less. I used a Videlia onion since their sweet. I was a little short on my cilantro because my plant is on the end of of its season but more would have been even better! Thank you for a nice lite and refreshing summer recipe! I will make again!
This is very flavorful!! My mom is going to a New Years party tonight and she requested that I make something light because we've all been overloaded on the comfort foods this holiday season. This was the ticket!! Made exactly as indicated except I used a grapeseed oil for the oil so it would be as healthy as possible. Who says healthy can't taste great? We put the salad into dixie cups to serve as mini appetizers. Awesome recipe:) Thanks for posting.