1/7 Photos of Chicken in Cream Sauce (Volaille a La Crème)
This chicken in cream sauce recipe, famously known as volaille a la crème in the Bresse region, is delicious in its simplicity. Brown high-quality chicken in butter and then simmer it in a cream sauce. That’s all there is to it! Another recipe found on about.com for ZWT, French region.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 73.94 ml butter
- 1814.36 g chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3.69 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 295.73 ml white pearl onions, peeled
- 236.59 ml white mushroom, cleaned with bottoms trimmed
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 118.29 ml chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 473.18 ml creme fraiche (can sub sour cream)
- 1Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven over high heat, sauté the chicken in the butter, turning once, until it is brown. The process will take about 3-4 minutes for each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 2Turn the heat to medium and sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and sugar to the pan. Sauté the mixture for 6-8 minutes, until the shallots turn soft and the mixture is caramelized. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 3Turn the heat to high, and deglaze the Dutch oven by bring the white wine to a simmer, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock, browned chicken, and thyme to the wine, cover, and lower the heat to low-medium. Braise the chicken for 10 minutes.
- 4Turn the heat to medium high, add the crème fraiche to the Dutch oven, and simmer, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes. The dish is ready when the sauce has reduced and thickened and the chicken is cooked through. Serve it hot with the caramelized vegetable garnish.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Cream Sauce (Volaille a La Crème)
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1069.2
- Calories from Fat 763
- Total Fat 84.8 g
- Saturated Fat 37.4 g
- Cholesterol 361.5 mg
- Sodium 649.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: