Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For a tasty all-in-one baked dish, try this potato-topped chicken, scallion and pea hotpot. Great way to get kids to eat more veggies!
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon drippings or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 bunches scallions, white part only, sliced lengthways in half
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- 3 ounces frozen peas
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, boiling
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Joint the chicken into 8 pieces. Heat the dripping or butter in a frying pan, add the chicken and colour on both sides to seal - you may have to do this in batches.
- Remove from the pan and put in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan, melt 1/4 of the butter over a medium heat. Tip in the carrots and scallions and cook without colouring for about 3-5 minutes.
- Scatter the carrots, scallions, peas and crushed garlic over the chicken. Pour on the hot stock and season.
- Coat the potatoes with 1/2 of the melted butter and place half the potatoes over the chicken to make a level topping; season to taste. Carefully lay the rest of the potatoes decoratively on top.
- Brush with the remaining melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375°F Cook for a further hour, brushing with butter regularly. If the potatoes begin to brown too much, cover with kitchen foil.
- Remove the hot pot from the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with cold pickled red cabbage.