Recipe by lazyme
Not sure where I got this recipe, but it's a real favorite with my grandkids. I usually make it earlier in the day and then pop it into the oven when ready for dinner.
Top Review by jwlukes
Absolutely delicious! I like spicy, so I added a diced chipotle chile and a couple tablespoons of adobo sauce. VERY good! I also made the cheese as my top layer..just a personal preference. Will definitely make this again!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into 3/4-inch strips
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 6 green onions, including some
- 1 cup black olives, canned, pitted and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- lime wedge, for garnish
- papaya, slices for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and blend.
- Whisk in stock, salt and pepper.
- Stir until mixture boils and is thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and salsa and mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with 1/3 of the sauce.
- Scatter half of the tortilla strips on top.
- Next scatter the chicken, onions, olives and half the cheese, and pour 1/3 of the sauce over all.
- Top with remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bake, covered 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes more.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with lime wedges and papaya slices.