Recipe by RaeMay
I know this looks like a lot to do but it is SO worth it!! It's super tasty and you can toy with the recipe to fit the picky eater in your family, the occasion, or the number of people you're feeding!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- garlic, cloves-to taste
- bell pepper
- 12 ounces cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Dough: Mix the dry ingredients for the dough and cut in the butter.
- Mix the cold water in, while tossing the mixture, one tablespoon at a time until dough-like; allow to cool 30 minute.
- Filling: Cut up the chicken in small cubes and brown in butter over medium heat.
- Add the chicken bouillion(I use the kind you're suppose to add water to but I don't add the water).
- I have a handy-dandy garlic press which gets more than enough use with this recipe -- just get some garlic in there whichever way fits you best.
- I will either finely chop some peppers or use a small can of chiles for some bite.
- After the chicken is cooked through add the cheese and mix.
- Add a little salsa if you like spice otherwise it goes very well over the empanadas.
- Cooking: Roll the dough slightly less than 1/4".
- Cut in circles (the size will depend on the occasion, for small snacks or a party do smaller circles, for a meal go larger).
- Place some filling in the center of the circle and fold one half to the other.
- Make sure you press down firmly to seal the ends together or THEY WILL LEAK! It's just a mess and a pain when that happens.
- Bake at 350 degrees.
- Optional: You can brush on either egg whites or butter to the tops, it helps seal them and the butter adds a little flavor, I like to apply it a couple times before and during cooking.