Paula Deen's Spicy Chicken Empanadas
photo by chopped7
- Ready In:
- 3 cups cooked chicken (finely chopped)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, diced & seeded
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 rolled refrigerated pie crust (boxed dough)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix all ingredients (except the dough and egg) in a large bowl using rubber spatula.
- Roll out the pie crust dough and cut circles, about 5 inches in diameter.
- Spoon filling into the middle of the dough circles.
- Wet your finger and run it along the edge of the circle(this helps it stick shut) - fold circle in half and pierce the edges with a fork that has been dipped in flour (to prevent sticking to the dough).
- Beat the egg and brush over the empanadas.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Soooooo good. I've been making these for years. I also saw it on FoodTV (they re-run it all the time) and loved them. However, to use all the filling up, you need two boxes (four crusts) but the filling does freeze very well if wrapped tightly. I usually make a double batch (it makes about 70 using a 3 1/2 inch glass to cut out the circles) and takes me around 2 hours to do them all. They freeze well if you freeze them flat on a cookie sheet and then put them in a freezer zip loc bag once they're frozen. I cook these straight from the freezer (not thawed) and they come out great. Don't forget the egg wash - it makes them look very pretty and professional.
These were a great treat! I halved the recipe after reading the reviews and it was the perfect amount for two of us! However, we felt that they are a bit dry on the inside...maybe the crust should have been rolled thinner than the way it comes. Next time i think I will add salsa to the mix to make them more mosit and spicier!
i remember this episode! this filling mixture is fantastic!! to moisten it up, i added a bit of salsa and i also added some chili powder and onions. i also halved the recipe after reading that people had lots of filling left over and i'm glad i did because it ended up being the perfect amount. i used a roasted chicken from the deli. this is a great make ahead dish or appy. thanks for posting!! this is a keeper.
see 11 more reviews
I made these for a Super Bowl party and they were a big hit. So easy to make and so delicious. I actually used ground beef instead of chicken and left out the jalepenos (becuase I knew kids would be eating them). I did add a little chili powder to give it a little kick. This is going on the menu for our annual halloween party. Great finger food.