Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Another wonderful recipe from my friend, Gaye. This take a little prep work, but the end result is restaurant quality that will impress your dinner guests. These are WONDERFUL! I especially like the fact that they can be made ahead of time.I make Crepes Aux Fines Herbes,#225395, to fill with the chicken mixture.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) roasting chickens
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, cooked and drained well (I squeeze mine out in a clean dishtowel)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon msg (optional)
Sherried Mornay Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, to sprinkle top with
- paprika, to sprinkle top with
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in water with the celery, onion, and bay leaf until it is done, about 35-45 minutes. Remove from the stock and cool.
- Remove meat from the bones, discarding the skin anhd chop into bite sized pieces. Reserve stock for another use after defatting it.
- While chicken is cooking,saute the green onions and mushrooms in the butter until just tender.
- Add well-drained spinach,undiluted soup.chicken,and seasonings and mix well until totally blended.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the mixture in the center of each crepe and roll.
- Place in a shallow oven-proof dish, seam side down.
- Cover with the sherried mornay sauce, sprinkle the top with the parmesean cheese and paprika and bake until hot, about 20-30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Crepes can be filled, quick-frozen on cookie sheets, then transfered to plastic bags for freezer storage. Do not freeze the sauce.
- This dish can also be prepared early in the day ( sauce and all), covered, and refrigerated. If refrigerated, cover with foil and bake for about 35 minutes; remove foil and bake about 10 minutes longer until sauce is bubbling.
- A serving is two crepes per person.
- Sherried Mornay Sauce:.
- Make a white roux with the butter and flour.
- Add milk and whisk over medium heat.
- Boil 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, cream, and sherry.
- Bring to a simmer while whisking, and add cheese and nutmeg.Whisk until cheese is completely melted, then remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over crepes and top with a sprinkling of parmesean and paprika.
- Serve with any extra sauce.