Recipe by Divaconviva
I came up with this recipe one night when I just didn't want the same-old-same-old skillet chicken. This was easy to make and we really liked the combination of textures and the Mediterranean flavors.
- 2 (1/4 lb) chicken cutlet (approx. 1/2 pound of chicken)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can apricots in syrup, drained, reserving 1/4 cup syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- cilantro (optional, but strongly recommended!) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat enough olive oil to cover bottom of non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and green pepper and saute about five minutes, so that they're still firm.
- Add chickpeas, cinnamon, coriander and cardamom, stirring to mix everything, and saute vegetables with spices for about 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Reminder: If your coriander or cardamom have been sitting on your shelf for a long time (a year or more), they won't yield much flavor.
- Remove from skillet and put in bowl.
- Turn up heat to high, and add 1/4 cup of apricot syrup into skillet.
- Salt and pepper the chicken to taste and add to skillet, turning to coat both sides of cutlets with syrup, and saute over high heat until the syrup is completely reduced and the chicken takes on some browning, but not too brown. This takes about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the apricots and saute 1 or 2 minutes, keeping the heat on high.
- Return the chickpea mixture into skillet and saute until heated through.
- Top with fresh-snipped cilantro, if desired, and serve with whole-wheat couscous and steamed vegetables.