Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
This is an easy, budget-friendly Italian dish that I found in the paper. Since I usually have most of these ingredients on hand, I hope to try it soon. Until then, I'm putting it here for safe keeping.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil pasta in 6 quarts of water for 8 to 10 minutes. (The pasta will be slightly undercooked). Drain, and set aside. Do NOT rinse.
- Heat the oil on medium high in a pot large enough to hold the 1 pound of cooked pasta, then add the chicken pieces. Cook for 2 minutes, turning the chicken to brown evenly on all sides.
- Add the diced onion, and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the chopped garlic, basil and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and sugar, then pour in the red wine. Bring to a simmer, and reduce the liquid by half.
- Toss in the diced tomatoes, and return to a simmer. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Add the chopped broccoli, and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the pasta, and cook until the pasta reaches your preferred doness. Finish by mixing in the parmeasan cheese and taste for salt.