Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This yummy recipe comes from Jalapenos, a local Mexican restaurant. It was originally published in the Houston Chronicle food section, in an article for Cinco de Mayo.I have made it with light butter and fat-free heavy cream or half-and-half to cut down on the fat grams and it is still delicious!
Top Review by PleasantNancy
This is incredibly good!! I used 2 poblano peppers and roasted for more like 10 minutes, removed the skin and put one in the sauce and the other sliced on the chicken. I used pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar and it was perfect for this dish....added a tad more heat. The chicken breasts were large so I baked for 20 minutes total. I can't wait to eat the leftover for lunch this week!! I find the flavor of the poblanos get better with time. This is going into my keeper file. Thanks Leslie in Texas....I'm in Texas too!!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large poblano chile
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pound chicken breasts flat and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub poblano with olive oil and place on a foil covered baking sheet and roast for 3 to 4 minutes, or until skin blackens.
- Remove from oven and rub off outer skin with a towel ( I use a damp paper towel).
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
- Add flour and stir over medium heat until thick.
- In a blender or food processor,pure'e half of the poblano together with the milk.
- Add to the flour mixture, mix well, and whisk in heavy cream.
- Cook over low heat until thick and bubbly, stirring often. Add salt to taste.
- Melt remaining butter in an ovenproof pan over medium-high heat and sear chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side.
- Cut remaining poblano in strips.
- Cover chicken breasts with poblano strips,sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese has melted.