Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 27 mins
Chicken Breasts in Phyllo
- 4 ounces butter, divided
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth or 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, melted
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, melt 2 or 3 tablespoons of the butter; saute the onion until golden. Remove onion and set aside.
- Melt 2 or 3 tablespoons butter in the same skillet; saute the mushrooms until all juices are absorbed.
- Add the onions, parsley and garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and blend well.
- Add the vermouth or dry white wine.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove mushroom mixture from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet melt remaining butter with olive oil and saute chicken until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove from heat.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place a second sheet of phyllo over the first; butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place a chicken breast in the lower half of the phyllo.
- Put 1/4 of the mushroom mixture and 1/4 of the feta over the chicken.
- Fold up the sides of the phyllo over the chicken, envelope style.
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and brush with butter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until browned.
- NOTES :
- Recipe may be prepared in advance up to the point the chicken is wrapped in phyllo then frozen.
- To serve, bake frozen at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes.
Absolutly wonderful, a must try.
Very tasty! I substituted white wine for vermouth and brie for the feta cheese. I think next time I will skip browning the chicken breast because some of the chicken was a little dry. Otherwise this was delicious. Thanks for posting!