Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Inspired by Fit Fare's Low fat party appetizers. I started making these for parties when I realized how cheap they were to make.
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked
- 1 (12 ounce) cancream soup, any flavor
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (60 g) packages phyllo dough, shells (or an equal amount of phyllo dough sheets)
- thyme, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (176.6° C).
- Cook the chicken and garlic in a non-stick skillet.
- Add the rice and soup to the skillet and stir well to combine.
- Add the lemon zest to the skillet, and stir well.
- Slowly add the milk to thin the texture out. Note that you might not use all of it. The mixture should not be runny.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- If you can't find pre-made shells, use phyllo dough cut into squares. Spray a little bit of non-stick cooking spray in between the layers, cut them to fit tart shells, and pre-bake them for 10-15 minutes in the hot oven.
- Spoon filling into phyllo dough shells and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Cook in the hot oven until the shells crisp and begin to brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Serve warm.