Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
I recently found this recipe in a local Newspaper. I made it that same Night, and loved it. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this recipe and that worked out wonderfully. It may seem like a long cooking time, but this is well worth the effort.
- 4 chicken thighs, trim excess skin
- coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato paste (1 small can)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can white beans
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sprinkle chicken generously with salt.
- In a deep pan or stockpot heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes , turning once, until it is lightly browned on all sides, set aside, keep warm.
- In the meantime, in another skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Cook the garlic for about 1 minute until it turns golden, then add the onion. Saute' for about 5-10 minutes, until it is softened. Add the peppers, tomatoes and tomato paste, mix well and season with salt and sugar. cook, stirring for about 15 minutes, until the tomatoes release their liquid ( I only simmered this for about 5- 10 minutes) Add beans.
- Add the pepper- tomato mixture and the wine to the chicken and mix well. Partially cover the pan and cook over medium heat for about 40 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
- Gently stir in the lemon juice and cook 5 more minutes. Serve chicken and sauce garnishend with parsley.
This was very flavorful. I really enjoyed it. The chicken was juicy and tender and the peppers retained their crunch. The lemon at the end brightened up the flavor very nicely. I served it with buttered noodles with the extra sauce. Great meal. It was too salty for my taste so next time I will only put 1/2 teaspoon of salt rather than 1 1/2. I will definitely make this again.
I also found this in a local paper and tried it and it's got to be one of my all time favorite recipes! Very easy and quick.