Recipe by Audrey M
A quick and easy soup to make.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
This was a nice, tasty low-calorie soup. I brought this to work for my lunch and it was filling but not heavy. Husband liked it, too. I doubled the basil because we realllly like that. I eat a lot of soup in the winter and this one was no trouble to make and I bet it'll freeze well. Thanks Audrey.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) package bow tie pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a large pot filled with the water and broth.
- Bring the water and broth to a boil, and add the barley.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook until the chicken and barley are done, about 30 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper and add the basil.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting oil and salt.
- Add the pasta to the chicken soup, and remove the bay leaf.