Recipe by IngridH
If you love spinach and artichoke dip, you'll also love this dish! It has the same flavors, but adds chicken and flaky pastry to make an impressive party snack instead of a dip. Serve this to the crowd watching the big game, or to the girls at your next bridal shower, either way you're sure to get rave reviews.
Top Review by Texaspollock
WOW!! We really liked this recipe. I cheated a bit and used packaged grilled chicken because I had it on hand, but it didn't take away at all. I used fresh garlic and sauted it with the chicken and I used 1/2 Tbsp of italian seasoning instead of the oregano and basil. Only needed 6 cheese wedges once I placed them all the way around the wreath and it wasn't too cheesy. The only thing I may do differently next time is to add more salt....the spice was just right but not quite salty enough. Great recipe and really comes out BEAUTIFUL!!! Wonderful presentation for company!! Thanks, IngridH, for this keeper!
- 8 slices bacon
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichokes
- 0.5 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained very well
- 2 (8 ounce) packages crescent rolls
- 8 ounces Laughing Cow light swiss cheese (8 wedges)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside on paper towels to drain grease.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Grill or sauté chicken until just cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While chicken cooks, mix mayo, basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, a pinch of kosher salt, and a big pinch of ground black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped scallions to the bowl.
- Chop cooked chicken into bite sized pieces. Add to the bowl.
- Drain, rinse, and pat dry artichokes. Chop finely, and add to the bowl.
- Thaw frozen spinach, rinse, and drain very well, squeezing out all excess water. Add to the bowl.
- Crumble cooked bacon, and add to the bowl.
- Mix well, until all of the ingredients are coated with the mayo mixture.
- Taste, and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Open the rolls, and separate the dough into 16 triangles.
- On a baking stone or greased baking sheet, arrange the triangles in a circle, with the large ends overlapping near the center of the sheet and the thin points facing away from the center (this should look like a sunburst with a hole in the middle when done). If the points hang over the edge of the sheet, that's okay.
- Spread half of the chicken mixture evenly in a ring over the wide ends of the dough.
- Open the cheese wedges and cut each triangle in half, making two smaller triangles.
- Lay the cheese on top of the chicken mixture, arranging the triangles evenly around the circle.
- Cover the cheese with the rest of the chicken mixture.
- Pull the narrow points of the dough over the chicken mixture, pinching the dough together at the inside of the ring to seal (The chicken mixture will not be completely covered).
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.