Recipe by Stir Fry Superfly
Easy to make, very tasty. Most people like to make gumbo and serve it on rice but we like it a little more soupy and all inclusive. If you want to reduce the stringiness of the gumbo try frying the okra for 5-10 minutes before putting it in the pot.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 links spicy sausage
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- fresh okra, sliced (about a 12-15 pieces)
- 8 cups homemade turkey broth (or chicken)
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- creole seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux by cooking the oil and flour on medium heat until the color of peanut butter.
- Turn off heat and toss in onion, pepper and celery to halt the cooking process.
- Cut chicken in to bite size pieces. Season with creole seasoning. Saute in a little oil then add to roux and vegetable mixture.
- Slice sausage, season with creole seasoning, saute and add to roux and veg mixture.
- Add chicken/turkey broth to roux and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more seasoning or cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add okra and cook for another 10-15 minutes until no longer stringy.
- Add soaked rice and cook for 10 minutes. Ready to serve when rice cooked.