A combination of chicken, mushrooms, garlic,lemon, cream and herbs, with a touch of sherry, gives this dish a mix of flavours that compliment each other beautifully to deliver a delicately flavoured dish.
- Cut the chicken into portions and coat with the lemon juice, rubbing in well.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and brown the chicken.
- Add the sherry and garlic.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about an hour.
- Just before serving add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove to a serving dish and keep warm.
- retain the cooking liquid.
- Bechamel Sauce:.
- Add carrot and slice of onion,thyme,parsley and bayleaf to milk.
- Bring to the boil in a small saucepan and remove from cooktop.
- replace the lid and allow to steep for at least half an hour.
- strain through a sieve and discard vegetables and herbs.
- melt the butter, add the flour and mix, then add the milk to make the bechamel sauce.
- season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add the bechamel sauce to the chicken cooking liquid and simmer for 2 minutes.
- add the cream and pour this delicious sauce over the chicken and serve.