Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A combination of chicken, mushrooms, garlic,lemon, cream and herbs, with a touch of sherry, gives this dish a mix of flavours that compliment each other beautifully to deliver a delicately flavoured dish.
- Cut the chicken into portions and coat with the lemon juice, rubbing in well.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and brown the chicken.
- Add the sherry and garlic.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about an hour.
- Just before serving add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove to a serving dish and keep warm.
- retain the cooking liquid.
- Bechamel Sauce:.
- Add carrot and slice of onion,thyme,parsley and bayleaf to milk.
- Bring to the boil in a small saucepan and remove from cooktop.
- replace the lid and allow to steep for at least half an hour.
- strain through a sieve and discard vegetables and herbs.
- melt the butter, add the flour and mix, then add the milk to make the bechamel sauce.
- season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add the bechamel sauce to the chicken cooking liquid and simmer for 2 minutes.
- add the cream and pour this delicious sauce over the chicken and serve.
This recipe is wonderful!!! I made ours with chicken breasts rather than buying a whole chook and cutting it into pieces as I was only making for 3. The sauce is superb it has such a delicate flavour that is so good and definitely moreish. I loved all the flavours that came through from the veg and herbs imparted into the milk to lovely taste of the liquid from the mushrooms, chicken, garlic and sherry. This is a very easy recipe to make with such wonderful end results. I obviously cooked less than one hour as I was using breasts but made the rest the same. An excellent meal whether just for family or company that will have guest coming back for more. Great Post we will enjoy this one often.