Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried)
- 1 lb white mushroom, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Microwave onion, porcini, garlic, oil, tomato paste, and thyme in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir mushrooms, broth, wine, and tapioca into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Let sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Stir shredded chicken and cream into sauce and let it sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enough sauce for 1 pound pasta.