Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Stew is always a great supper because it is like a one dish meal. This recipe come from Bon Appetit from 1994.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 parsnips, peeled,sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled,thinly sliced
- 3 medium leeks, halved lengthwise,sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 lb baby new potato, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to pot in batches and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to bowl.
- Pour off fat from pot and discard.
- Add butter to same pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add sliced parsnips, carrots, leeks and potatoes and stir to coat.
- Cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes.
- Gradually mix in chicken broth.
- Increase heat and bring to boil.
- Return chicken to same pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon tarragon and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken and vegetables are cooked through, turning chicken occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken pieces to large shallow bowl and tent with foil.
- Add whipping cream to pot; increase heat and simmer until liquids thicken to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Mix in remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon.
- Season stew to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce and vegetables over chicken and serve.
A very tasty dish. It had a good balance of flavors; I enjoyed the tarragon (a new seasoning for me). I didn't have parsnips so I used additional carrots and potatoes. I used boneless chicken breasts (personal preference)which worked really well. They were moist and tender and absorbed the flavors really well. The heavy cream was really the crowning touch in the sauce. I would definitely make this dish again.
I made this with thighs and drumsticks. I followed the recipe exactly. It's excellent. I had a lot of tarragon in my herb garden last year and it really shined in this recipe. The sauce this makes is super! Thanks for another great, easy one Bev!