Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love the lime in this!
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile, pureed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces jalapeno jack cheese, cubed
- 4 fresh cilantro stems (for garnish)
- 4 lime slices (for garnish)
- tortilla chips
- Combine stock, lime juice, oregano, basil, pureed chipotle and bay leaf in stockpot.
- Season to taste with salt and white.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro.
- Return to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Ladle very hot soup into warm soup bowls.
- Drop in cheese cubes.
- Garnish each serving with a few.
- tortilla chips, avocado slices, lime slice and cilantro sprig.
- Makes about 1 quart.
This was a very simple soup to throw together and it made a great addition to our grilling last night. The lime really does make this stand out from many of the other Mexican soups I have tried. I didn't change a thing and everything came out great. We will be adding this to our regular rotation. Thank you for posting!