Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Comfort food! Serve this on a cold winters day. Delicious!
Make and share this Chicken and Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water
- 1 packet instant chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 5 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Bring a pot of water to boil with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and boil chicken until cooked (around 30 minutes depending).
- Drain, rinse and chop into cubes or good sized chunks.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot, stir together the cream of chicken soup, water, boullion and milk.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots.
- Sautee until carrots are almost done and onion is soft.
- Transfer the chicken mixture and vegetables to the soup pot, and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with celery seed and black pepper to taste.
- To Make Dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Pour the liquid into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into simmering chicken stew (after it has simmered for 1/2 hour).
- Cover pot tightly, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for another 12 to 15 minutes.
- (I find they come out nice and fluffy if you keep the lid on:-).
- Serve hot.
This recipe tastes like a home made version of chicken pot pie. It is good, however not the best chicken and dumplings recipe that I have ever made. I grew up with a better recipe that mom made and this one does not even come close. Out of curiousity, I am on a mission and am trying to find out if there is anything out there more heavenly than hers. Unfortunately this was not it. This explains my 4 star rating. I would suggest not to throw out all of that good chicken broth in step #2. Instead reserve some of this freshly made goodness to use instead of the water in step #4. Dumping out the broth and recreating from scratch is a waste. I also added 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning , and 1 Tablespoon of Parsley Flake to the dumplings for more taste and color.
LOVED THIS RECIPE!!! First time I have made Chicken and Dumplings and they turned out exactly how I like them. I did reserve the water that I boiled the chicken in use in the "water" part of the recipe. I doubled it thinking I may have made too much and it wasnt enough. It was a bit more of a stew consistency so next time I may add a bit of a thickening agent - or maybe not. I dont wanna mess with a good thing. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It is now in the dinner rotation.
Oh boy do I ever wish I could give this more than 5 stars because in my opinion this is worth 50 stars!! Made this tonight for supper. I tripled the soup recipe and doubled the dumplings. This was heaven!! My son who is 20 months is VERY picky and he loved it...he stole mine tonight LOL. My girls loved it. I phoned my hubby at work and told him he needed to come home for supper. When he got home I got him a bowl and he took one bite and said "oh my!!!" does that tell you how good it was?? I will be printing this one off and putting it in my keepsakes. I've already shared your recipe with 2 boards I am a part of. Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!!